Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Thoughts on May 17th

My Thoughts on May 17th

10:09pm here and still just over an hour away from arriving in Krakow, 
Poland;  much like the Jews once did.  The apporx. nine hour drive offered 
people and opportunity to catch up on sleep, self reflect on the places visited thus far, as well as, informal discussion on thoughts/feelings/stories.

I spent a few hours sleeping before gathering my thoughts to fill in my blog on what has been occurring over the past two days.  I want to thank you all for your thoughts and words of encouragement as I continue on this journey.  I am privileged to have been given this opportunity and to in turn, share these things with you.

Today I felt as through visiting Track 17 and the location of the Wannsee Conference made this trip and the events surrounding these places real.  Unlike yesterday, today's sites were locations that actually pivotal roles in the war.  I have trouble fathoming how it would feel to walk through your city to the train station, as you have no idea what is in store for you.

Being in the room here where the elements of the final solution were discussed  brought feeling forth of anger and disgust.  How 'humans' could plan the death and destruction of other humans is something do difficult to understand.

I will leave you today with these basic thoughts as I attempt to mentally and emotionally prepare for what tomorrow - Auschwitz, Berkinau, and the march - will bring.  I am not sure what to expect, as like many, much of my knowledge and images come from books.

No comments:

Post a Comment